Sunday, March 29, 2015

Journey entry 10 - Advice

Dear future student,

First of all, let me let you know that I'm an older student so much of my advice comes from years of experience.   Please excuse me if I sound like your mother as I am probably the same age or older.

Anyway,  here goes.  I know four years of college seems like an eternity!  It will go by faster than you think!  It is important that you follow through with what ever you say or plan on doing.  School costs a lot of money, so show up for class and do all your homework.  Don't waste your time or the professor's time.  The same holds true for any productions or projects you will work on.  Make sure people can depend on you when you say that you will be there to work or that you will complete your part of a project.  Even though this is a school environment, it doesn't mean that you can "fake" your way through it.  You are developing your life skills in this environment.  For example, if you can't show up on time for your class, project, rehearsal, or production, then how can any one in the "outside" world will be able to trust you or depend on you.  Develop a good work attitude! Hang in there! You have the rest of your lives to pursue your other desires.

Always have a professional attitude!  Be kind to each other and make friends that will last a lifetime. These friends may be the ones you will work with in your chosen field.  When ever difficult or unpleasant things happen, don't worry about it.  Try to find a positive solution. Don't let "things"  or things people say get you down.  Try to look at the bigger picture.  Take it with a grain of salt and by that I mean,  any criticism  or comments that you get, take what is helpful to you and don't worry about the petty things.  You can't please everybody all the time.  As long as you are doing what you feel is right in your heart - go with it.  In other words, don't sweat the small stuff!

Learn everything that you can!  Don't be afraid to try new things.  Sometimes, that is where you may find your niche or your perfect job.  Ask as many questions as you can!  It doesn't matter if the question seems stupid, ask anyway.   Don't be afraid to ask for help! Don't be afraid to ask if you can do something (whatever). Whether they say yes or no, it doesn't hurt to ask.  You will find the professors (especially in the theatre dept) will always find the time to talk to you and that they really care about you!

For the Film and Television students - This one is for you!  You are just getting into this program at LSU at an exciting time!  We are getting more equipment in and more classes for film.  When I came here, there was hardly anything at all.  I didn't understand why I had to take all the theatre classes.  Yes, it does sound like it doesn't fit - however - many of the classes are now beginning to talk about film in them.  Be patient, more and better classes are coming your way!!  For me, I decided to get the best of both worlds,  I was a theatre major with a Film and Media Arts minor.  I was able to make films in both areas.  The things you will learn about theatre will transfer to film - just wait and see!!!

Finally, the best thing I can say for you is to HAVE FUN! I tell my children and grandchildren this all the time.  Find something you really enjoy and make a career out of it.  If that means working in the theatre, go for it!  If that means making films, go for it!  What ever makes you happy! Go for it!!  If it's not fun, what is the point of doing it!  When your "job" is fun, it will not seem like a job!  Yes, you may be tired from all the rehearsals, climbing the catwalks with lights, hauling film equipment around all day and night, but at the end of the day, you can go to bed with a smile on you face knowing that you are doing what you love to do!




No comments:

Post a Comment