Fear is something that I really don't think too much about. It doesn't mean that I'm not afraid sometimes, it just means that I've learned to deal with my fear. Once again, and I'm not preaching again, I often look to the Bible to find answers about such questions. It's just part of my faith. The Bible says that the fear of God is the beginning of wisdom. In this case, fearing God is a kind of healthy fear which is the same as a respect for God. In the same sense, it is the same as a fear of different things being a good thing. For example, fear of burning your hand if you touch a hot stove will keep you from getting burned. A fear of poisonous snakes will make you more aware and careful of them if you decide to go hiking in an area that may have poisonous snakes. Fear of the consequences of your actions (especially if they are illegal actions) may be enough to keep you from doing the the wrong thing. For example, fear of getting a speeding ticket will keep you from driving too fast. These kinds of fear are healthy.
It's the kind of unhealthy fear that is often the problem. If you have a desire to be an actress and you are too afraid to get in front of people or a camera, that could be a big problem as far as a career in acting goes. Now this kind of fear could be the agent in which you strive to overcome in which case you could continue for an acting career. It is when you allow the fear to take control and you back away from the thing you want to do. For a long time, I was afraid of heights. Several times, I had the opportunity to go para-sailing. After about 3 years, I finally got up the nerve to try it. I got on that boat, strapped on the parachute and went up about 400 feet above the water while being pulled by the boat. I can't describe the amazing things I saw while up there. If I had not overcome my fear of heights, I would have missed an experience that I will never forget. Ever since then, heights don't bother me as much which helped me while I was working on the cat walks in the Reilly theater.
I used to be afraid of being in front of people (sometimes I still am). I started to interpret sign language at church several years ago. I remember the first time I got up in front of people to sign. We were going to Bethany World Prayer Center at the time. The sanctuary held about 3 thousand people. I was only interpreting for just a few people but I had to stand in front of those 3 thousand people. I was terrified! I made myself continue even though my knees were knocking under my skirt and I was sweating like crazy. I made it through and forced myself to continue signing for services. I eventually got over my fear. Later, I had an opportunity to interpret for Cornerstone Music Festival in Bushnell Illinois for their 20th anniversary concerts. I stood on a huge stage in front of 35,000 people and interpreted for whatever deaf people where there. Was I afraid? Yes, I was a bit nervous about being in front of so many people! But, I was confident in my abilities and was able to do my job. I think that is the best secret of an artist - to be confident in your art and your abilities to overcome any fear or uncertainty that you may have. The best thing to do when confronted with an unhealthy fear, is to make up your mind to face that fear and overcome it and continue to until you have a victory over that fear.
No comments:
Post a Comment